As a business owner with a website, you’ve already recognized the importance of using the Internet for your online visibility and marketing. But, you may be wondering why your website hasn’t given you the ROI you were hoping for. Here are 5 steps to help you get the most out of your investment by increasing conversions:
- Get them There—The first step in increasing your conversions is getting more potential clients to see your site. This is possible with a strategic search engine optimization campaign. A well-optimized site will drive the right people to your site. By getting more relevant and targeted traffic, you increase the likelihood of conversions because the people coming to your site are already interested in the products or services you provide.
- Keep them There—Good SEO must be accompanied by good Web Design. Since Internet users spend only a fraction of a second determining if your site is worth staying on, it’s a good idea to invest in a professional-looking site that grabs attention and accurately reflects your company’s image. Additionally, your design should incorporate the most important information at the top of the page, above the fold. If a person can’t quickly and easily find what they are looking for, you will lose them. User-friendly design is essential.
- Give them Confidence—Establishing your credibility is imperative if you want people to contact you, buy from you or share their personal information with you. Professional web design helps with this because it shows that you’re invested in your company. Also think about including testimonials, references and trust seals (i.e., privacy seals, business validity seals, business verification seals, hacker safe seals, industry leader seals, etc.) on your site to give people confidence in the legitimacy of your business and the service you provide.
- Tell them what to Do—Don’t assume that people will know what to do when they arrive at your site. Ask for the action you want them to take (this would fall into the category of important information you should include above the fold). Equally as important is making it easy for people to take your desired action. Your call-to-action needs to be well-crafted and strategically placed for maximum effectiveness. All of the copy on your site should direct people toward the action you ultimately want them to take.
- Test, Test, Test—To increase your conversion rate, you need to conduct some basic testing and keep up to date on your site’s analytics. There are a whole host of analytics you should be aware of, but some basic things to keep track of include finding out:
- how people are getting to your site—understanding how people are searching for your site can shed some light on their expectations so that you can tailor your site to better meet those expectations.
- what people are doing once they arrive on your site—are they digging deeper for more information or do they leave just as quickly as they came?
- which pages on your site drive the most traffic—transform the pages that people see first into solid landing pages.
- what pages people spend the most time on—focus those pages to get people to act.
These are just some of the basic steps you can take to increase conversions. Of course, experts in SEO and website management can give you the best bang for your buck when it comes to investing in your online marketing. Experienced professionals can not only design, optimize and maintain your website, but develop a strategic plan to increase conversions based on the unique needs of your business or industry.